Important information- personal, social and emotional education- Jigsaw coverage
Important information to read...
This school year we have been using ‘Jigsaw’, the PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) Programme across school, which follows a mindful approach to PSHE.
These lessons have built children’s emotional literacy, self-esteem, and knowledge of who they are and how they relate to each other and the world in a positive and healthy way. We are sure you will have heard about the Jigsaw Friends and Calm Me time.
The Summer Term Puzzles (units) are about Relationships (unit 1) and Changing Me (unit 2). Next half-term after the holidays we will be focussing on the Changing Me Puzzle which includes, in every year group, 2 or 3 lessons to help children understand the changes puberty brings and how human reproduction happens. There is a very serious safeguarding aspect to this work and obviously the younger year groups are not looking at these issues directly and explicitly, but rather learning correct terminology for body parts and covering the foundation work for later year groups. The Year 5 and 6 lessons look more fully at puberty and human reproduction.
This next unit of Jigsaw will begin Friday 10th June and will include the following themes which will be managed sensitively:
Year 3 coverage:
- How babies grow
- Outside body changes and the changes genders experience when growing up, so we can have babies this will include vocabulary such as puberty, pubic hair, breasts, penis, testicles, vagina.
- Inside body changes- why these are necessary if we choose to have babies this will include vocabulary such as womb, uterus, sperm, ovaries and eggs.
- Family stereotypes and roles.
- Transition to our next year group
Year 4 coverage:
-Girlfriends and boyfriends
-What makes a good relationship
- How I was made- including sperm meeting an egg.
- The internal and external parts of a male and female that are essential for making a baby vocabulary covered will include: Sperm Egg/ Ovum Penis Testicles Vagina/ Vulva Womb/ Uterus /Ovaries /Making love Having sex/ Sexual Intercourse /Fertilise /Conception
- Girls and puberty- including menstruation vocabulary covered: puberty Menstruation Periods, cervix,
-Circles of change and accepting change.
- Transition to out next year group.
Talking to your child about the lessons they have covered will help their learning and also give them a chance to ask further questions they might have.
If you have any questions or require any further information about the vocabulary and topics we will be covering, please contact myself, the school office or senior leadership team.
Thank you for your ongoing support.