Autumn 2 - Our Local Area
Welcome back Year 1! I hope that you have all had a lovely break and are ready for our next half-term.
This half-term we will be looking at ‘Our Local Area’.
In this geography unit, we will discover which countries make up the United Kingdom and be able to locate these on a map. Our focus will then turn to our local area where we will identify which physical and human features are found within our village and school grounds. We will learn to follow the four simple compass directions and create maps.
Part of our topic will include a walk around the village. This will take place on Wednesday 22nd November.
Attached to the blog is our curriculum coverage for Autumn 2.
Dates for your diaries:
We have got lots of exciting activities planned between now and Christmas, and I am looking for some volunteers to help with some of these dates. Exact times will be confirmed nearer the date.
- Wednesday 15th November (afternoon) - Helping out with initial sewing skills
- Wednesday 22nd November (afternoon) - Walk around the village
- Thursday 30th November (afternoon) - Baking Christmas cookies
- Tuesday 19th December (time TBC) - Making hand puppets
If you are available to support on any of these dates, please get in contact with Mrs Buttery or myself and I will provide more details about timings etc.
- Reading: please continue to read 3 times a week and sign this off in your child's home-school book. We are still working towards our bronze awards - some of you have already achieved this which is brilliant!
- Doodle Maths: stay within the green zone on Doodle Maths. Extra challenges are set regularly which are personalised to support your child to reach their next steps.
- PE: PE will still be taking place on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Our class texts: My Map Book by Sara Fannelli, Leaf Thief by Alice Hemming, Binny’s Diwali by Thirty Umrigar and The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas and Helen Oxenbyrt
Towards the end of our science unit, we will be designing and building a strong and waterproof mini shelter for the fourth Little Pig. If you have any cardboard boxes or small plastic recyclables please could you send them my way? Thank you!