Jigsaw coverage after half-term summer 2
Important information for jigsaw after half term.
This school year we have been using ‘Jigsaw’, the PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) Programme across school, which follows a mindful approach to PSHE.
These lessons have built children’s emotional literacy, self-esteem, and knowledge of who they are and how they relate to each other and the world in a positive and healthy way. We are sure you will have heard about the Jigsaw Friends and Calm Me time.
The second Summer Term Puzzle (unit) is called Changing Me which includes, in every year group, two or three lessons to help children understand the changes puberty brings and how human reproduction happens. There is a very serious safeguarding aspect to this work and we will be learning correct terminology for body parts and looking more fully at puberty and human reproduction.
This next unit of Jigsaw will begin 9th June and will include the following themes which will be managed sensitively:
Year 5 coverage and vocabulary:
- Self and Body Image – Self, Self-image, Body image, Self-esteem, Perception, Characteristics, Aspects, Affirmation
- Puberty for Girls – Puberty, Menstruation, Periods, Sanitary towels, Sanitary pads, Tampons, Ovary/ Ovaries, Vagina, Oestrogen, Vulva, Womb/Uterus
- Puberty for boys – Puberty, Sperm, Semen, Testicles/Testes, Erection, Ejaculation, Wet dream, Larynx, Facial hair, Growth spurt, Hormones
- Conception – Relationships, Conception, Making love, Sexual intercourse, Fallopian tube, Fertilisation, Pregnancy, Embryo, Umbilical cord, Contraception, Fertility treatment (IVF)
- Looking Ahead to being a teenager – Teenager, Milestone, Perceptions, Puberty, Responsibilities, Change, Hope, Manage, Cope, Opportunities, Emotions, Fear, Excitement, Anxious
Talking to your child about the lessons they have covered will help their learning and also give them a chance to ask further questions they might have.
If you have any questions or require any further information about the vocabulary and topics we will be covering, please contact myself or senior leadership team.
Thank you for your ongoing support.