What is Reading eggs?
A little bit of information about what reading eggs is...
Hello Sea Lions,
You may have noticed you have the login details for a programme 'Reading Eggs' we haven't used this in School yet but its an incredible app to use at home and is similar to Vipers (reading comprehension) and the questions we ask when we read with you 1:1.
So I thought I'd share a bit of information:
How does it work?
- Reading Eggs was created by expert educators with over 30 years of experience.
- The multi-award winning early learning resource supports your child’s learn to read journey with carefully designed online reading games and activities that are easy to follow, self-paced, and highly engaging for young children.
- By incorporating Reading Eggs into your child’s daily routine, you will be helping to prepare them for the same structured learning they will need to succeed and feel confident at school for example comprehension (vipers).
How does it teach my child to read?
Reading Eggs is based on scientific research to give your child the best chance at reading success.
Using the five essential keys to reading success, the programme unlocks all aspects of learning to read for your child. These include:
1. Phonemic awareness
The ability to hear and manipulate the different sounds in words.
Children develop phonemic awareness by learning about sounds (phonemes), syllables and words. Reading Eggs teaches phonemic awareness using a sequential series of skill-building activities that increase sound awareness.
From the earliest lessons in Reading Eggs, your child will learn to recognise rhyme, match letters and sounds, and listen to how sounds work to make words.
Recognising the connection between letters and the sounds they make.
Phonics is the process of mapping the sounds in words to written letters. This is a very important reading skill that all children need, and features constantly throughout the Reading Eggs programme.
Your child will learn how to decode words into sounds and encode sounds into words when they write and spell. This all happens within a wide range of activities that feel like games, to keep your child interested and engaged as they practise. Each lesson ends with a book matched to your child’s current ability, which lets them enjoy the thrill of reading on their own.
Understanding the meaning of words, their definitions, and their context.
Having an ever increasing vocabulary is a fundamental part of academic success. The more words we know, the better we are at reading and understanding the texts that we read.
Reading Eggs increases the number of words your child understands and uses as part of their working vocabulary. Your child will be introduced to new words throughout the Reading Eggs lessons with visual supports to provide context and boost retention levels.
4. Reading Comprehension
Understand the meaning of text – both in story books and information books.
Great readers are involved in the stories they read. They imagine the characters and the adventures they have. They think about what is happening and they share the emotional journey of the book’s characters.
In nonfiction books, great readers gain new information, increase their vocabulary and link what they read with other sources of information to deepen their levels of understanding of new topics and concepts. This all shows that the reader has a full and rich comprehension of the texts they read. This is a complex skill that requires time and practice to develop fully.
To build active reading comprehension skills, Reading Eggs uses activities that scaffold your child’s understanding with a wide range of pre-reading activities to ignite their thinking. They will progress from learning words and their meanings to reading for meaning, moving from learning to read to reading to learn.
The ability to read aloud with speed, understanding and accuracy.
Many skills build reading fluency. These include good phonic decoding skills, an increasing bank of high frequency words recognised at sight, and the amount of time children spend reading books at an appropriate level. The more children read, the better they are at understanding and reading with speed and accuracy.
Fluency is crucial for children as they build their reading skills. Reading Eggs achieves this through instructional activities that build children’s reading stamina. Just like any exercise programme where your fitness increases over time, reading is a skill that needs time, effort and regular practice.
Reading Eggs makes this easy with a comprehensive programme that takes your child from being a non-reader, all the way through to reading long chapter books. The depth of the programme means that your child can continue their journey for as long as they need. Reading Eggs enables children to learn to read, and then helps them improve by building real, long term reading skills, empowering them to become lifelong readers and learners.
How does it work?
- The lessons use colourful animation, fun characters, songs, and rewards to keep children motivated and reward the children with eggs on the progress they make.
- The programme is completely interactive to keep children on task.
- When children start the programme, they can complete a placement quiz to ensure they are starting at the correct reading level- this may start off easy and steadily get harder to identify their reading level.
- Parents can access detailed progress reports as well as hundreds of full-colour downloadable activity sheets that correspond with the lessons in the programme.
- The programme includes over 2000 online books for kids – each ending with a comprehension quiz that assesses your child’s understanding.
More information can be found: here
I hope this helps!
Take care and sending lots of positivity,
Miss Fowell x