At KPNS, we aim to prepare children for participation in tomorrow’s rapidly changing technologies. Design and technology at KPNS will provide children with the tools to deal with problems they meet in everyday life. We meet the requirements of the National Curriculum in Design and Technology by providing a balanced programme where children have experiences involving structures, mechanisms, food technology and textiles.
Design Technology spans the curriculum, often supporting and enriching understanding in other subjects, by applying specific design and making knowledge and skills to solve real and relevant practical problems. Design and Technology requires pupils to identify needs, generate design ideas, plan, make, and evaluate. Through well planned tasks, which allow for creativity, pupils learn how to take risks and become resourceful, innovative, enterprising, and capable citizens.
At KPNS, we aim to:
- Provide a relevant & challenging enjoyable D&T curriculum.
- Develop creative thinking.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Provide opportunities for co-operative working.
- Give children opportunities to work independently and develop their organisational and presentation skills.
- Teach children how to use various tools appropriately.
- Use a practical, problem-solving approach to tasks so that the children will develop a range of skills around the design process (investigate, design, model, refine, make, test, and evaluate).
Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
Our Curriculum Overview, found below, outlines the comprehensive coverage of design technology across Key Stages 1 and 2, in accordance with the national curriculum and beyond. The overview also includes relevant details about EYFS. In addition, our EYFS curriculum identifies specific vocabulary, knowledge, and understanding to equip children for design technology at Key Stage 1. Detailed information can be found in our EYFS planning documentation, accessible on the dedicated EYFS curriculum page of this website.
See below in 'KPNS DT Curriculum Overview' for:
- Page 3: DT Elements Document - Subject Lens and Second Order concepts
- Page 4-7: Whole school unit overview and Big Ideas
- Page 10-11: Subject elements progression for all year groups
- Pages 12: National Curriculum coverage