Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
Here at Keyworth Primary and Nursery School, we strongly believe that the ‘Early Years Foundation Stage’ provides the building blocks and foundations for a child’s educational journey and future.
Our primary objective is to ensure that children entering our Early Years Foundation Stage undergo holistic development, encompassing physical, verbal, emotional, creative, intellectual, and spiritual growth, fostering a positive outlook towards school and becoming lifelong learners. We believe that all children deserve to be valued as individuals, and we are passionate about supporting all children to achieve their full, unique potential.
At KPNS, we aim to:
- Lay the foundations for learning-creating children that are curious, engaged and motivated to learn.
- Create an inclusive, safe environment that allows every child to flourish.
- Develop children who are kind, respectful and understand their own and other feelings and beliefs.
- Nurture children to become independent and resilient individuals.
- Create a strong partnership with parents and the local community.
- Create a pathway that allows children to transition confidently into year 1 and become lifelong learners.
- Provide a secure foundation of education through careful planning for the learning and development of each individual child.
Our foundation unit (Nursery & Reception) follow the EYFS statutory framework and provide a curriculum which encompasses the seven areas of learning:
The Prime Areas
Three areas are particularly important for building a foundation for igniting children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, forming relationships and thriving.
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
The Specific Areas
These areas are in which the three prime areas (see above) are strengthened and applied.
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
We deliver these areas through a carefully considered progressive curriculum, reflecting the needs and next steps of our cohort.
Below you will find examples of our planning in EYFS - this shows our curriculum intent and what we want the children to learn.
- 'EYFS Long Term Plan'
- An example of our 'EYFS Medium Term Plan '& linked 'Big Ideas Poster'
- An example of our 'EYFS Weekly detailed planning'
How we Implement our Curriculum
For a detailed outline of how we deliver our curriculum and the pedagogy in the EYFS, please see our 'EYFS: How we Implement our Curriculum' document attached below.